The Home to Roost Stamp Set is one of the Sale-a-bration gifts available for very £45/€60 you spend! I decided I’d stamp the image, and then stamp the grass in the background. This meant making a mask by stamping the rooster on a Post It Note and fussy cutting it. I laid the mask over my stamped image and stamped the grass three times using Crumb Cake Ink stamped off once. It worked well, and I was pleased with the result.
As I’m not much of a colourer, Home to Roost is not normally the kind of stamp set I’d go for. Fortunately, when I went onto Pinterest to see how other crafters have coloured the rooster, I found a photograph posted by Brian King, who’s one of the top US demonstrators. He had painted a rooster, and then labelled the photograph with the colours he had used! Many thanks, Brian, they worked a treat! I think Brian used our Stampin’ Blends, whereas I used our Stampin’ Write Markers. The back feathers are Coastal Cabana, the “jacket” feathers are Cajun Craze, the chest and abdomen are Soft Suede, and the other two bits – I can’t think what they’re called! – are Real Red and Cherry Cobbler.
When I stamped the sentiment it was crooked – see the photograph below left. It was only slightly crooked, but I wasn’t happy! Normally, I’d stamp it again on a separate piece of cardstock, die cut it, and then adhere with Dimensionals over the crooked sentiment. This wasn’t an option yesterday because the top layer of my card was all flat i.e. no extra layers, or Dimensionals, and I wanted to keep it like that! I kept looking at my card telling myself it wasn’t crooked enough to worry about. Then I had a lightbulb moment!
I decided to use a Rectangle Stitched Framelit Die. The size of the little die in the set on it’s own was the perfect size! I positioned the die exactly where I wanted the correct sentiment to go, and die cut the crooked one out! Using a scrap of Shimmery White Cardstock (CS), I stamped the image again using Stazon Ink. Next I positioned the die so the new sentiment was exactly in the middle of the die, and of course, straight – see photograph above on right-hand side. After I had die cut the sentiment I was able to pop it in the gap where the crooked sentiment had come out of.
Hopefully, when you first saw today’s card, you assumed the stitching round the sentiment was a feature of the card rather than my way of correcting a mistake! I like the finished look of this card, and may well use this as a technique again! To decorate the inside of my card I added a layer of Coastal Cabana CS, and a top layer of Shimmery White CS. When I first started this card, I stamped several images of the rooster so I could have a practice at colouring. There was one I liked, so I cut it in an oval die, and adhered it in the bottom left-hand corner. A clean and simple masculine card methinks! By the way, the sentiment is from the Itty Bitty Birthdays Stamp Set.
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s blog, and like this new way of correcting a mistake! LOL! That’s it from me today, so until tomorrow, happy crafting.
Products used: please clink on any link to be taken to my 24/7 online Stampin’ Up! shop