Yesterday, with hubby’s help, I was able to get a copy of the new Annual Catalogue together with a copy of the new Beginner Catalogue in the post for all my customers! Fortunately, I have about six leftover which is just as well because I forgot to photograph the bookmarks before they were put in the post as I promised I would yesterday!
I thought it would be easy to make a card where there was a diagonal strip between the top half and the bottom half but it was anything but easy! When I make cards for my blog, obviously I like to share how I did it but on this occasion, I’m not sure how I did do it! Logically, there must be a way of explaining how to do this that makes sense, but I ended up winging it. I’ll do my best to explain it!
I thought if I took a 3¾” square of Real Red Cardstock, cut from ¾” down on the left-hand side down to ¾” up from the bottom of the right-hand side, I’d get two pieces the right size – one top and one bottom piece. It didn’t work out like that, so I took the bottom piece, assumed it was correct and a larger piece of 3¾” wide Real Red CS, laid it on the Whisper White CS layer and marked where I needed to cut it!
In a nutshell, that’s what happened but it wasn’t quite as straight forward as that! I’m not going to try and explain everything I went through to get to the point of having an even diagonal gap between the top and the bottom. The reason is, for the first two attempts I didn’t understand why it went wrong. The third attempt was mechanical rather than logical but it succeeded!
Adding the Designer Series Paper (DSP) would have been a walk in the park if I knew the correct way to achieve what I did achieve with the Real Red CS. This is something I will have to revisit again sometime because I need to understand the logic. I achieved success with the DSP purely because I cut a long piece that measured 3¾” and marked it against the cardstock, allowing a narrow gap all the way round!
Had I not been so frustrated at this stage, what I should have done was to put the two pieces together to form a square or a rectangle. Then I would have been able to measure the height and the width and where the start and end of the cut line needed to be. Later today, without damaging my card, I’ll try copying the shape and size of the two panels to try and find the answers! If I succeed, I’ll let you know!
I chose to use Real Red although I did toy with the idea of using Pool Party. With the help of my Stamparatus, I stamped the sentiment HAPPY BIRTHDAY along the diagonal gap using Tuxedo Black Memento Ink. The stamp set is the Perennial Birthday which I’m sorry to say will be retiring on 2nd June 2020. I fussy cut two poppies to decorate each end of the sentiment and also two smaller poppies to decorate inside the card. If you don’t like fussy cutting, stamped and painted poppies from the Painted Poppies Stamp Set would still look as good as the fussy-cut ones, if not better! I adhered a layer of Whisper White CS inside the card and adhered the two smaller poppies and two leaves I’d also fussy cut from the DSP!That’s it from me today! I look forward to being back with you tomorrow, and in the meantime, please take care and stay safe! Happy crafting.
Cardstock Layer Sizes: A4
Card base 8¼” x 5¾” scored and folded at 4 1/8”
Middle layer: 2 pieces 3 7/8” x 5½”
Top layer: 2 pieces 3¾” x 5 3/8”
Cardstock Layer Sizes: Letter-size
Card base 8½” x 5½” scored and folded at 4¼”
Middle layer: 2 pieces 4” x 5¼”
Top layer: 2 pieces 3 7/8” x 5 1/8”
Products used for this project: please click on any of the links to be taken to my 24/7 online Stampin’ Up! shop. The Hostess Code for MAY 2020 is X6DTJQNU. Thank you. xx