This is the special New Home card I made yesterday where I used six different sets of dies – can you guess which six? That’s not really a very fair question because I used the house dies from the Home Together Dies but then cut off the white edges by hand. I often do this when I know I’m going to cut the white edges off because it’s much easier when there’s such a small amount of excess that’s being cut off by hand.
The other sets of dies used are the Stitched Rectangle Dies for the sentiment, the Playful Alphabet Dies for the letters NEW HOME, the Garden Gateway Dies for the vines on either side of the house, the Wreath Builder Dies for the flowers on the vines, and the Butterfly Beauty Dies for the small butterflies. When I first started my card I knew I wanted the house and NEW HOME as it is. I decided on all the other elements and colours as I went along.
I used my Stamparatus to stamp two sets of the two houses using Black Memento Ink onto Whisper White Cardstock (CS). The reason I stamped two sets was so I had one set to play with different colours if necessary! I chose Cinnamon Cider for the doors, rooves and chimneys and I tried Dark Petal Pink for the walls. Although the colour went well with the Cinnamon Cider I didn’t like it for the house and changed to Light Crumb Cake. I love how two houses can be layered one on top of another to create a large house, but I don’t like the plain windows because I think it makes the buildings look rather bland.
While I realise my curtains may not be the best in the neighbourhood, they do make my house look like homes! LOL! I have a pack of twenty different coloured Staedtler TriPlus 0.3mm Fineliners from my pre-Stampin’ Up! days and the black was ideal for drawing the lines for my curtains. I used the tip end of my Dark Bermuda Bay Stampin’ Blend to colour my curtains but that left stark white windows. I coloured them using my Light Smokey Slate Stampin’ Blend and after allowing it time to dry, I went over with my Colour Lifter which toned the grey down to a very pale grey.
When I had the NEW HOME letters die-cut and the house cut out and I had laid them on a regular top layer, it was obvious that I needed a much larger card! I cut myself a piece of Whisper White CS and made a 6″ x 6″ card. My middle Bermuda Bay CS layer is 5¾” x 5¾” and my top Whisper White Layer is 5 5/8” x 5 5/8”. Although I wasn’t quite sure what my next step was going to be, I knew I didn’t want my top layer to be plain and at the same time I didn’t want to emboss it with anything heavy. I chose Subtle 3D Embossing Folder and ran it through my Big Shot. It was at this point that I realised I should have sprayed my cardstock lightly with water before embossing but I didn’t and the result wasn’t as good as the embossing should have been!
I didn’t want to waste the 5 5/8” x 5 5/8” square of Whisper White CS so I decided to put it through the Big Shot and emboss it again. At first I was going to do it so the lines were still going in the same direction but then I wondered what it would look like if I made the lines go in the opposite direction! I was pleased with the result! I was hoping that the close-up photograph I showed you yesterday would help you see what it looks like. If it didn’t, hopefully today’s photographs will help!
I decided to use the CONGRATULATIONS stamp from the Well Said Stamp Set. After stamping it with Versamark on some Bermuda Bay CS that I had wiped over with my Embossing Buddy I dipped it into my box of Whisper White Embossing Powder and then heat set it! I chose a die from the Stitched Rectangles Dies rather than a more fancy shape die from the Tasteful Labels Dies because I decided the latter was a bit too big and the first die was almost the same width as the house! I knew I wouldn’t be able to find any dies small enough to have some vines climbing on the house so I chose the smallest I could find and used them to decorated the two lower halves of the outside edges on the left- and right-hand sides of the card front. The colour I used is Shaded Spruce and I added three Petal Pink die-cut flowers growing on the vines! Finally I used the five small butterfly dies and die-cut the maximum of eight butterflies.
I was then ready to start putting my card together and adhered the two layers and the card base together. Using my T-ruler I placed the NEW HOME letters in position and adhered the N and E first, then the E and M and finally W, O and H. My ruler made it so easy to keep the letters sensibly spaced out! Next I adhered the back part of the house onto the top layer using Tombow and then I cut a piece from the Adhesive Foam Sheet for the front of the house so it was popped up – it’s added some great dimension! Next I adhered the vines, the flowers and the CONGRATULATIONS.
Finally I added some Champagne Rhinestones in the centres of the flowers and adhered the butterflies randomly around the front of the card. They needed something to finish them off but all my gems were too big. I found seven left-over “raindrops” and adhered one on each butterfly with the thin pointed tip at the top for the butterflies head! To decorate inside the card I adhered a large and a small vine, plus one flower on each and the eighth butterfly toward the smaller vine! I’m happy with how this card turned out especially considering how many different sets of dies I used!
This is probably one of my longest blogs ever but there’s a lot to tell you about what I did! That’s it from me today. I look forward to being back with you tomorrow and in the meantime please take care and stay safe. Happy crafting.
Products used for this project: please click on any of the links to be taken to my 24/7 online Stampin’ Up! shop. The Hostess Code for DECEMBER 2020 is SNBSKN44. Thank you. xx