I wonder if you noticed the Give It A Whirl Dies in the new catalogue? They are quite easy to miss so I won’t be surprised if you say no! They are a stand alone product and can be seen on page 57 used with the Stellar Birthday Stamp Set. The complete set of dies can be seen on page 163 although they haven’t been explained fully anywhere in the catalogue.
This is a huge shame because it’s an amazing set of dies and makes it so easy to make an interactive card suitable for men, women and children! The aim of today’s video is to show this set of dies in its full glory! I started by going on YouTube and searching for a Stampin’ Up! video using these dies.
My search didn’t reveal such a video but instead I found three videos by demonstrators in (I believe) North America. This motivated me further because all rectangle dies are made with letter-size cardstock in mind which means A4 cardstock users have to manipulate their sizes to get the best out of these dies.
When I first started playing with these dies, I started by cutting four card fronts and used one of the four shapes on each. You can choose to have a circle, a small rectangle, a heart-shape or a fan-shaped (half moon shaped?) window. You can also choose the position as long as the hole on the tab on the die matches up with the hole on the die-cut card front.
In the video, I showed my first results of playing with these dies which I made using retired cardstock. At first, I thought the images had to be stamped and painted on the actual die-cut wheel. This was partly because that’s how the catalogue samples look and I also assumed that if extra cardstock was adhered to the wheel, it would catch on the window as it went passed!
Much to my very pleasant surprise extra cardstock doesn’t get caught – I can’t work out why this is the case! When the front cover and the wheel are die-cut, they both get marks from the die – on the wheel it looks like the ban the bomb logo! The only way to cover these up is to emboss both pieces – I used the Tasteful Textile 3D Embossing Folder.
It worked brilliantly on both die-cuts and I loved the effect on the wheel but not the card front. My last hurdle was to find a way to decorate the front of the card. I decided to try and find a way of using Designer Series Paper that I could explain in such a way that I didn’t make it sound complicated because my solution is easy!
It was easy enough to work out the sizes of the top and lower section ignoring the finger notch which was my next challenge. In the video I show how to overcome this obstacle by making two templates. Once these templates have been made they can be used time and time again. As I said earlier, you can choose from four different shapes for your window and it’s a good idea to make a template of the windows.
To make one you need a piece of cardstock – probably about a quarter of a sheet – and die-cut each window on this piece of cardstock. You can see my template in the video. Once you have made this template you can use it to fit over any of your stamp to see if the image will fit into the window you want to use, and if not, which window will it fit in best.
This has been a fabulous video to make and the product should be a winner. I’m sure in the next few months, especially in the run up to Christmas, we will see some amazing card ideas using these dies. I have two other ideas so far! I hope you give these dies a try – I’m sure you’ll be pleased you did.
That’s it from me today. I hope you have a very blessed Sunday and I look forward to being back on Wednesday. In the mean time, take care and stay safe. Happy crafting.
Grey Granite Cardstock – 8¼” x 5 5/8” (21cm x 14.3cm) NA 8½” x 5½”
Scored & folded at 4 1/8” (10.5cm) NA 4¼”
Blushing Bride Cardstock – inside layer 3¾” x 5 3/16” (9.6cm x 13.15cm) NA 3¾” x 5 3/16”
Blushing Bride Cardstock – top layer to be die-cut approx. 4” x 5½” (10.2cm x 14cm) NA 4” x 5½”
Blushing Bride Cardstock – wheel approx. 3¾” x 3¾” (9.5cm x 9.5cm) NA 3¾” x 3¾”
Bloom Where You’re Planted Designer Series Paper – top section 3½” x 1 7/8” (8.9cm x 4.8cm) NA 3½” x 1 7/8”
Hand-Penned Designer Series Paper – Lower section 3½” x 2¾” (8.9cm x 7cm) NA 3½” x 2¾”
Basic White Cardstock – scraps for sentiment and images
Grey Granite Cardstock – scrap for sentiment layer
• Gray Granite A4 Cardstock  £8.25 —— https://bit.ly/3ycVq6W
• Card Stock A4 Blushing Bride  £8.25 —— https://bit.ly/3cL7pjF
• Basic White A4 Cardstock  £9.00 —— https://bit.ly/3iDSXer
• Hand Penned 12″ X 12″ (30.5 X 30.5 Cm) Designer Series Paper  £10.75 —— https://bit.ly/3w8Bwbs
• Bloom Where You’re Planted 12″ X 12″ (30.5 X 30.5 Cm) Designer Series Paper  £10.75 —— https://bit.ly/3hugWxS
• Badger Besties Cling Stamp Set  £18.00 —— https://bit.ly/3v3yMMt
• Handsomely Suited Bundle (English)  £45.00 —— https://bit.ly/3uUqt5e
• Give It A Whirl Dies  £36.00 —— https://bit.ly/3tPykje
• Layering Ovals Dies  £33.00 —— https://bit.ly/2C4ZZaR
• Tasteful Textile 3 D Embossing Folder  £8.25 —— https://bit.ly/30wOOAZ
• Tuxedo Black Memento Ink Pad  £5.50 —— https://bit.ly/2oHuNV8
• Tuxedo Black Memento Ink Refill  £4.75 —— https://bit.ly/2wKWvEK
• Gray Granite Classic Stampin’ Pad  £7.00 —— https://bit.ly/3pXpjng
• Gray Granite Classic Stampin’ Ink Refill  £3.50 —— https://bit.ly/39V7IXB
• Smoky Slate Stampin’ Blends Combo Pack  £8.50 —— https://bit.ly/3kBMgt7
• Granny Apple Green Stampin’ Blends Combo Pack  £8.50 —— https://bit.ly/3e3995U
• Daffodil Delight Stampin’ Blends Combo Pack  £8.50 —— https://bit.ly/2zf4RsY
• Flirty Flamingo Stampin’ Blends Combo Pack  £8.50 —— https://bit.ly/34ozQht
• Round & Square Brads  £6.50 —— https://bit.ly/3eQREIU
• Pearl Basic Jewels  £4.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BYH4y7
• Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine  £112.00 —— https://bit.ly/3kd11SM
• Mini Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine  £56.00 —— https://bit.ly/2ZbAmNX
• Stamparatus  £46.00 —— https://bit.ly/2SPbiqu
• Simply Shammy  £7.50 —— https://bit.ly/3c1y7AC
• Paper Trimmer  £23.00 —— https://bit.ly/2qUQQw0
• Paper Snips  £9.25 —— https://bit.ly/2BYGTTt
• Bone Folder  £6.50 —— https://bit.ly/2ojre7w
• Grid Paper  £11.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BMJekd
• Small Grid Paper  £6.00 —— https://bit.ly/2C609ih
• Silicone Craft Sheet  £5.50 —— https://bit.ly/2LtkKMx
• Multipurpose Liquid Glue  £3.75 —— https://bit.ly/3lUJ7Wd
• Stampin’ Dimensionals  £3.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BYH1SX
• Mini Stampin’ Dimensionals  £3.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BYH2X1