I don’t know if I have ever put as much work into preparing for a video as I did for this one! On the positive side I’ve finished up with a lot of ready made images for future projects! It all started because I had an idea for using the fabulous NEW 2021 – 2023 InColour Shimmer Vellum. There are two 12″ x 12″ sheets in each of the five new InColours in a pack. If you watched my video last week you would have seen the Shimmer Vellum which has one side as shimmer and the other side as matt vellum.
It struck me that this would be brilliant to use for dies like the Poppy Moments which build poppies by co-ordinating coloured layers. Unfortunately, as with the Wink of Stella Glitter, the shimmer on the vellum doesn’t show very well in the photographs but it does show up brilliantly in the video and in real life! My first Pop Up Flip Card was the Sweet Strawberry card I made as a birthday card for my son. The card worked beautifully, except where I added LD – his name is Leigh Darren – it interfered with the oval as the card was closed. Since I finished the video I have added one of the Ladybird Trinkets that have just retired. I forgot to mention in the video that the Designer Series Paper (DSP) I used on the strawberry card is retired – it was available during Sale-a-bration during January- February this year.
I used the Hand-Penned Stamp Set and DSP for the Fresh Freesia Cardstock (CS) card. My first step was to stamp the two main images and then colour them with the infill stamps. My plan was to use one image for the card I was working on and the second image for the card I’d be making in the video but this was not meant to be! Before attempting this card I watched about four videos to see how it was made because when I first saw that some of the small strip had a gap between the box and the oval, I couldn’t understand why it was there and wondered if in fact it should actually be there! It appears to be correct.
No-one in the four videos said to be careful to make sure the image didn’t come too far over the top because it would upset the balance and therefore stop the card from working properly. This is what happened to the Hand-Penned card. I could be wrong (if anyone knows the answer, please let me know) but I set about making the bottom half heavier to make the card work properly. This is where the second image came in handy! I started to dissect it by fussy cutting and put one group of flowers in each of the bottom left-hand and right-hand corners inside the card. There was a medium sized flower left-over so I adhered it with a Dimensional to the lower half of the oval.
I also die cut a Fresh Freesia CS oval using the no.3 oval die from the Stitched Shapes Dies. After cutting it in half – well, sort of half! – I adhered the biggest half behind the lower half of the main oval and then I adhered the smaller half on top of that. It worked! After I had prepared all the poppies and leaves – using the Polished Pink, Fresh Freesia and Evening Evergreen Shimmer Vellum – hubby wandered into my studio. I showed him what I was working on and explained my plan. He was suitably impressed and asked what would I do if my idea didn’t work because he was thinking the weight may not be heavy enough!! I said it will work! But the seed of doubt had been sown.
I set about doing a set of pansies and leaves using cardstock so if the vellum didn’t work, I could use the cardstock images. The colours I used are: Melon Mambo, Magenta Madness, Granny Apple Green and Garden Green. While I was working on these I started thinking that the vellum flowers and leaves would show lighter on any parts that were above the edge of the oval. I had the idea of die-cutting the larger part of the flowers and leaves using Basic White CS – which would also add some weight – and adhering the vellum on to the white backgrounds. All this took a lot of time but it was time very well spent. The vellum flowers and leaves with the white cardstock backing worked beautifully.
When I make a card (as far as the layout is concerned) “on the hoof” like today’s card, I always feel a bit panicky in case I can’t come up with a suitable arrangement for my images. I needn’t have worried about the card in today’s video because it has turned out much better than I had imagined! I hope you like it, too! That’s it from me today. I hope you have a blessed Sunday and have a relaxing day. Hubby and I were planning to go for a walk in the bluebell woods but the weather isn’t looking good! I look forward to being back with you soon. Take care and stay safe. Happy crafting.
NA = letter sized cardstock users
Melon Mambo Cardstock – 8¼” x 5¾” (21cm x 14.6cm) NA 5½” x 8½”
Scored and folded at 4 1/8” (10.5cm) NA 4¼”
Basic White Cardstock – 3 7/8” x 5½” (9.9cm x 14cm) NA 4” x 5¼”
Hand-Penned Designer Series Paper – 3 7/8” x 5½” (9.9cm x 14cm) NA 4” x 5¼”
Melon Mambo Cardstock – 3” x 4” (7.5cm x 10cm) NA 3” x 4”
Score on horizontal side at 1”, 2”, 3” (2.5cm, 5cm, 7.5cm) NA 1”, 2”, 3”
Melon Mambo Cardstock – ¾” x 2¼” (2cm x 5.6cm) NA ¾” x 2¼”
Score on horizontal side at 1” (2.5cm) NA 1”
Basic White Cardstock – oval die cut with no.3 oval die from Stitched Shaped Dies
Basic White Cardstock – scraps for images
2021 – 2023 InColour Shimmer Vellum – scraps for flowers and leaves
———————— Supplies ————————
• Melon Mambo A4 Card Stock  £8.25 —— https://bit.ly/32CTp4T
• Basic Black A4 Card Stock  £8.25 —— https://bit.ly/37qBLDz
• Basic White A4 Cardstock  £9.00 —— https://bit.ly/3iDSXer
• 2021–2023 In Color Shimmer Vellum  £11.25 —— https://bit.ly/3ttALIg
• Pansy Patch Bundle (English)  £47.50 —— https://bit.ly/3uvzkdG
• Peaceful Moments Bundle (English)  £48.50 —— https://bit.ly/2ukyqq7
• Poppy Moments Dies  £34.00 —— https://bit.ly/3vRqxD8
• Stitched Shapes Dies  £28.00 —— https://bit.ly/2JX9utl
• Melon Mambo Classic Stampin’ Pad  £7.00 —— https://bit.ly/2ENe262
• Melon Mambo Classic Stampin’ Ink Refill  £3.50 —— https://bit.ly/2EQrQN6
• Bumblebee Trinkets  £7.00 —— https://bit.ly/3f2aAmB
• Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine  £112.00 —— https://bit.ly/3kd11SM
• Mini Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine  £56.00 —— https://bit.ly/2ZbAmNX
• Stamparatus  £46.00 —— https://bit.ly/2SPbiqu
• Simply Shammy  £7.50 —— https://bit.ly/3c1y7AC
• Paper Trimmer  £23.00 —— https://bit.ly/2qUQQw0
• Paper Snips  £9.25 —— https://bit.ly/2BYGTTt
• Bone Folder  £6.50 —— https://bit.ly/2ojre7w
• Grid Paper  £11.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BMJekd
• Small Grid Paper  £6.00 —— https://bit.ly/2C609ih
• Silicone Craft Sheet  £5.50 —— https://bit.ly/2LtkKMx
• Multipurpose Liquid Glue  £3.75 —— https://bit.ly/3lUJ7Wd
• Stampin’ Dimensionals  £3.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BYH1SX
• Mini Stampin’ Dimensionals  £3.75 —— https://bit.ly/2BYH2X1
• Tear & Tape Adhesive  £6.50 —— https://bit.ly/2ZUMcg1
• Stampin’ Seal+  £11.25 —— https://bit.ly/3eXEkk4
• Stampin’ Seal+ Refill  £7.50 —— https://bit.ly/3nBBcOf
• Mini Glue Dots  £5.00 —— https://bit.ly/2NPQQ78